Home > Trips > Greece and Turkey > Subject: We're home!

Subject: We're home!

Date: 07/22/2007 04:05 PM

Hello all,

With our trip now finished, this will be our last broadcast message to

On Thursday, we woke early and walked towards the Acropolis to beat the
rush. Upon arrival, our naivete was promptly dispelled - it was
unbelievably crowded. This only put a slight damper on the experience
though, as it is an amazing site. We explored it, then headed downhill
for more sites such as the Temple of Zeus. Needing a break, we headed
into the National Gardens. Inside, we found the Zappeoin housing an
exhibit of Greek tourism posters. That may sound dry, but the artwork in
the 30, 40s and 50s was really cool. After that, it was time to head
back to the hotel and avoid the afternoon heat until dinner. We learned
that the Benaki Museum was open until midnight (and free!) so we trekked
there after supper. The exhibits cover all ages of Greek history, which
was unique for us as we've seen so much from ancient times and Byzantine
times, but very little from the 15th century onwards.

We spent our last full day in Athens at the beach. It was a heavenly way
to beat the heat. We were there for almost six hours and the stay kept
us cool for the rest of the day. After the beach, we had a lovely meal
of octopus, stuffed peppers, dolmades and fried feta cheese with some
delicious wine. Of course, this was followed with fresh baklava. A fine
parting meal.

When we got back to our hotel, we packed, went to bed and woke up early
Saturday morning to head to the airport. Once there, we checked our
bags, grabbed a book and paper, bought some ouzo and waited for our

The flight was a bit of a bummer. We boarded an hour late, left a
half-hour late, had a previously-unannounced stopover in England and
finally got off the plane 12+ hours after boarding. We arrived in
Toronto at 5:15 p.m. rather than the scheduled 3:00 p.m. arrival, but
this seems to be par for the course for us coming home. Customs was busy
but we were in Pauline's car by 6:00 p.m. (thanks, Mom!) and arrived
safely in Kingston at about 9:30 p.m. Pauline had even prepared a
delicious stew and homemade desserts for us. It was quite a welcome. It
had been almost 24 hours straight for us, but we're back and are feeling
better today.

We've already had a chance to sort and upload our pictures.

We took over 500 pictures, but we've singled out our favourites into a
smaller gallery of 60 pictures at:


The full gallery of all photos, sorted by location, can be found here:


That's it for now. Thanks to everyone for listening and for the great
feedback along the way. (A special award goes out to Glen and Gail who,
hands down, had the most advice for us. In particular, the parts about
your heatwave were instrumental in our decision to move to a better hotel
in Thessaloniki. ;-)

Our love,

Ben and Sarah